Saturday, March 1, 2014

Old Fashioned and Cupcake Friendly

Old Fashioned and Cupcake Friendly


Memories can be funny things. My memories of childhood include a crazy, always creating artist mother and a stand your ground dad. My brothers, sister and I were tasked with learning to cook, do laundry, make beds and home tasks beginning at the ages of seven.  I actually remember earlier than that. We had fun though! Through german pancakes with over a cup of salt and cookies with salt instead of sugar, ooh the mistakes we made. But we did make it through with a good working knowledge of how to boil a great egg, able to sew a button,  and make a bed and so much more. More knowledge was being taught than in most homes. Our parents were teaching self-reliance.  Little did we know at the time  they had a purpose, which was thought through and made a priority.

I have people ask, as do other family members "wow. How do you know all this stuff?' "Just learned I guess."  I'm always puzzled by this question. It has taken me years to discover not all people think like I do. We were taught, if we hanker or want something, figure it out and make it yourself, if you can. These skills will support you through your entire life. And they have.

Artists/creative minds work differently than analytical minds. And it is very difficult to explain why we do what we do. Maybe it's just the simple creative process which brings us joy. We will never be wealthy, but we sure will share pleasure and the creative ends with everybody who is interested. 

I am a Chef. I know how to keep a home. I am creative. And all this is because I was taught basic principles. and then (by choice) ran with it...

Well this has become a little preachy and I really didn't mean it too. And just think it all started with Cupcakes Three Ways. Who would have thought?

It started with a class. Teaching basic cupcakes and how to make them amazing. Blog: Cupcakes Three Ways.

So this is just a chaser from that blog. The class went amazing. and to spice it up My mom suggested I dress and do the hair and nails the whole bit in 1940's style. Mom sends me cute old fashioned aprons a couple times a year and it has become a bit of a compulsion on her part.( and mine too). They were the inspiration for this fun class. It's always fun to teach to a willing audience and this particular class was superb.

I wanted it to be fun and a little bit surprising. So ergo the hair, dress, handkerchief and apron. I have decided that if I can't have fun, why bother?




Can you believe it. Even the cupcake liners are cute.
Make fun all you want. It was a blast. Don't even bother trying to figure out the creative mind. It will never happen. Just as you think you've got it all figured out, they go and change on you.

Thanks for visiting and sharing this with me. That's the whole point. Share and create...Make life a more fun and joyful journey.

Darcy
 Chef Darcy at Silver Spoon Catering
http://www.chefdarcysilverspooncatering.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting. See you next time. Darcy