Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Captivating Cake


 There is one thing in the culinary world that will always be true. You never stop learning and growing as a culinary artist.  And that is exactly what it is, an Art.  Especially when it comes to cake.  There are so many possibilities and mediums you can work with, butter cream, fondant, gum past, pulled sugar. 

For this post I am highlighting the beautiful work of a close friend.  She is not a culinary artist, but she is an artist for sure!  Her work is beautiful and inspiring.  She motivates me to be more daring, to reach a little further in my passion.  So for this I thank you Acacia Tanner.
  So the project we worked on was a trade, she wanted to learn the art of baking a cake as well as putting it together and frosting, and in return without her knowledge I learned her painting technique.  She wanted to decorate this cake like a painting, but use the frosting as the paint.

 First she smeared "paint" frosting on her pallet then began  to dip her brush in gel food coloring then into the frosting, mixing the color she desired,


  She then began to apply her colors to the cake almost like a stucco.  she layered the colors starting with the darkest of shades and building up from there, lighter and lighter.



   Here, she is tinting the frosting and adding it in layers to the base frosted cake, using the frosting on the cake and picking up her colored frosting and creating texture and movement.

 

  This masterpiece cake begins to take on the life from which it was inspired, starting to look more and more like the famous "Water Lilies" by Monet.
                  
                        
  I was fascinated to watch this artist at work and if you know me, you know I have many talents, but painting is not one I have yet to acquirer.  But after watching this masterpiece take life, it inspires me to take that leap into the darkness and try something new.  And what an asset it would be to my portfolio of skills. My mom is an artist so this shouldn't be such a leap. I just need inspiration like Acacia watercolor cake.
Have an adventure. Try something new and get out of your comfort zone.
See ya next time. Darcy  Chef Darcy at Silver Spoon Catering

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting. See you next time. Darcy