Friday, September 20, 2013

Getting a little fishy!

Happy Happy Sushi


  Yesterday we celebrated a belated birthday for my husband, His birthday was in August but he didn't get his gift until last night.  We went to a concert and dinner.  I am going to talk about the dinner. The concert was awesome but the dinner was quite the  new experience for me. 

  First you need to know, I am not a huge fan of sea food.  There is some that I like but, on a whole it's not my favorite, so you would assume that I am not a Sushi person, well you would be right.  I don't touch the stuff, but decided because it is one of my husbands favorites that I would suck it up and take him to a sushi bar were they have all you can eat sushi.  Heaven on earth for those of you who love the stuff.  Hell for someone like me.  Needless to say, I ate before we left expecting that it would all be nory wrapped, slimy creatures from the deep.with vinegary rice.  YUM! (not). 


   As we sat at the restaurant and hubby was out of his mind excited,  as the waiter came to our table, hubby promptly ordered 2 rolls, telling me how much I am going to enjoy this.  He hands me a menu and says, "OK, all the stuff with stars is raw and the other stuff is cooked". Like I was actually going to order something. Anything...  As I looked at the menu I discover there was quite a bit of cooked items as well as rolls which included things I like, so I took the plunge into the deep sea of Sushi.

  When the rolls came out, they were beautiful, the rice with a sweet sauce drizzled on top and the stained glassed look of the vegetables and fish was extraordinary.  But the biggest surprise of all is they taste so good.   I ordered a Vegas Roll, with cucumber, crab and cream cheese, an Irish Vegetable Roll, which had Tempura potato, carrots, broccoli, and sweet potato.  So good!, I also got some Shrimp Nigiri, and a Rangoon Roll with crab, salmon, cream cheese and shrimp..  It was all so good.  I will definitely go again.



  The whole idea to this post is to prove even someone like me who has a lot of experience with food has food phobias too.  I took those fears and put them aside long enough to find out that I was dead wrong for judging Sushi so harshly


    I tell my kids  they have to at least try everything which is put in front of them. Foods at least. So why have I avoided doing it myself for so long with this one thing?  I am not sure, but I am sure it had something to do with the fear it would all be fishy and slimy, which is not so.  


  So here is my advise to all  new cooks or cooks who have been avoiding something in particular.  Don't Do It!!! Don't shelter yourself from something that just might be Awesome.  Try everything at least once, if you don't like it move on, but don't be afraid to venture out of your comfort zone and try something new!  New recipes, new foods anything.


Have fun with new things. See you next time
Darcy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting. See you next time. Darcy